“Well, we’re in our new house. Let’s get a new pet to get along with it,” Mrs Brown said to her husband.
“That sounds like a pretty good idea,” he answered. “Do you want to see the ads in the newspaper?”
“Let’s go to the animal shelter. Many pets there need homes. Since tomorrow is Saturday, we can both go,” she said.
Next morning the Browns met Mr Snow at the animal shelter. “We want to be sure that the pets here go to good homes,” Mr Snow said, “So I need to ask you some questions.”
After they talked for a while, the Browns decided to get a small dog. It wouldn’t need a big house or a big yard. A small dog would bark(吠) and warm them if someone tried to break into their house. After Mr Snow gave the Browns a book on pet care, they chose one and wanted to take her home right away. But the animal doctor hadn’t checked her yet. So Mr Snow told them to return on Sunday.
On Sunday afternoon the Browns went to the animal shelter. The animal doctor said, “Shadow has had all of her shots(预防针). She will be healthy.” The browns thanked the doctor and took Shadow home.
1. From the reading we learn that _______.
A. the Browns have never had a pet before.
B. the Browns knew about Shadow from the newspaper.
C. Shadow is a small and healthy dog.
D. Mr Brown didn’t quite agree with his wife.
2. The word shelter in the reading means _______.
A. a place to sell small dogs
B. a place to keep homeless animals
C. a place to study animals
D. a place to sell books on pet care
3. Mr Snow asked the Browns some questions to _______.
A. see if they had moved to a new house
B. find out how rich the Browns were
C. know where they’d keep their new pet
D. make sure they’d take care of pets
4. The Browns thinks that a small dog _______.
A. doesn’t need any room to keep
B. can help them watch their house
C. eats less food than a bigger one
D. usually has a beautiful name
5. It’s clear that _______.
A. Shadow will not be easy to get ill
B. the Browns were not satisfied with Shadow
C. Mr Snow didn’t check Shadow at all
D. Shadow likes barking a lot
1. 选C。文章第5段提到…the Browns decided to get a small dog 以及最后一段动物医生说：Shadow has had all of her shots(预防针). She will be healthy.我们可以知道Shadow是一只健康的小狗。答案选C。
2. 选B。由第3段句子Let’s go to the animal shelter. Many pets there need homes.可知，shelter是a place to keep homeless animals(无家可归的动物们的避难所)。
4. 选B。由第5段的句子A small dog would bark(吠) and warm them if someone tried to break into their house. 我们可知，一只小狗就可以帮他们看家了。故答案选B。
5. 选A。因为Shadow has had all of her shots，它已经打过所有的预防针了，所以Shadow是不会容易得病的。